after graduating, packing up, moving out, moving in, unpacking, setting up new apartment things, and finally settling in...i finally have time to just sit on my bed and contemplate what to do with my time before i start working.
so naturally i’m starting my own newsletter...a compilation of things i enjoyed reading, watching, listening + other random things, and hopefully frequently. welcome!!
during college, i somehow subscribed to way too many newsletters for my brain’s sake but stumbled into the niche of personal newsletters. i love personal newsletters! (i'll also do a list of newsletters i sub to in the future maybe)
i know that there are many ways to do essential what a newsletter does. or what my newsletter would do. but there’s something about a personal email that feels more intimate and i like the idea of an archive of the things i'll have compiled. (really trying to avoid the word curate here) newsletters are like the new blog. kind of twitter but more longform. and it gets personally delivered to your inbox!
anyway, there are so many other things you could be doing, so thanks for subscribing and being here. enjoy!
favorite watches, reads + listens (week of 5/27)
watching… (the obvious ones + youtube)
- hasan minhaj homecoming king!!! just pls watch if u haven't already + good vulture interview with him
- season 2 of master of none of course. then i read and listened to everything i could about the creation of it.
- my youtube subscriptions (highly bingeable)
- vegan goals couple cam & nina - their videos are just so well shot and just health and happiness goals
- my girl lauren toyota/hotforfood - watch for her fun personality, travel vlogs, recipe?! videos, vegan what i eat in days, and normal recipe videos! (also shoutout to haruko for making me obsessed with lauren and vegan videos in general)
- vox’s new “borders” series with johnny harris just came out with the first ep on japan + right-winged nationalism
- one of my favorite channels lessons from the screenplay just did a fantastic one on arrival. it’s a good place to get movie recommendations too. then you can get some extra insight about the movie (if you’re a nerd and into that kind of thing) gone girl. when harry met sally. ex-machina. etc
- been binge-watching the heck out of FBE react videos
- thesorrygirls (diy girls) loft vibes series for aesthetic inspo lol
- nyt piece on medically assisted death in canada / one man’s story of choosing death without fear + the accompanying the daily episode
- how homeownership became the engine of american inequality
- stop worrying about making the right decision, and instead focusing more on making the decision you choose the right one.
- how a24 became so amazing so quickly
- is the gig economy working?
- the personal essay boom is over
- why the chinese are better at eating their greens (i love chinese vegetables!!!) part of muchie’s #chinesefoodweek last month
- inside apple's newest campus
- started reading the autobiograhy of malcolm x on my kindle. shoutout to ebooks.
- for book updates, stay updated @ my goodreads bookshelves :-)
listening… (podcasts unless stated otherwise)
- this american life #617: fermi’s paradox ft.
- act 1: aliens
- act 2: couples therapy (must listen!!!) - a new audible series listening in on a couple therapists’ sessions
- act 3: and my favorite producer stephanie foo reporting a story on a dad and daughter relationship through 50 fundamental human questions.
- emotional but wholesome episode
- radiolab: null and void on jury power/privileges
- still processing: we will always love you, whitney houston
- ezra klein show with ANNA SALE my queen
- the call is a podcast i’ve been binging. erica williams simon interviews badass women and talk to them about their “calling” and how they’ve navigated working toward that (usually not linear) - roxane gay, jenna wortham, yvonne orji, lena waithe and more!!!!
- planet money's when india's cash disappeared series #770 and #771 about india's demonetization that happened recently
- kqed's q'ed up: so beautiful, yet so very white: welcome to marin
enjoy!! let me know if you have feedback or want to discuss any of these things. or send me things you think i'd enjoy. that'd be fun!! happy summer!