wow what a great 2 weeks it has been! i turned 22 (ty to those who celebrated with me!) and also binge-watched the most that i have in 2 weeks all this year. i haven't been in the binging mood in a long time so let's welcome it back! favorites (last week of june and first week of july)
- skam!!! josh has been recommending it to me for a long time now and i finally got around to it. it's a norwegian teen show set in oslo (so hip!!) like skins where each season is from the perspective of one character. there's your typical teen stuff like drinking, hooking up, and love, but i feel like they represent the relationship parts the best of the many shows i've seen. it also helps that they are all attractive and dress nice. their final season just aired and it's a whole season from saga's perspective, a female muslim perspective in a very homogeneous and secular country. the fader did a good profile of it! please go watch it!! since it's from overseas, people have crowdsourced links and translations. watch here or here. :-)
- terrace house! it's on netflix! it's pretty much my dream reality show. it's a japanese reality show kind of like big brother and the real world but not really in that our reality shows are usually scripted, dramatic and not real at all. basically 3 women and 3 men live in a really nice house together in tokyo while still doing the work they normally do, and we get to observe them living together and how they interact. people go on the show to make friends or find love or typically have a goal and they get to leave the show whenever they'd like. it's a refreshing show that shows us just real human interactions and feelings. since the people on the show don't have confessionals like US reality shows, the show has commentary from a couple people that are comedians or something. i started late last week after finishing skam and i am addicted. there are 46 episodes at least for the season that i started that is on netflix, "terrace house: boys and girls in the city" and i'm already in the 30's. i can't be stopped!! their most recent season is set in hawaii! if you need more convincing, read this feature from vulture. :-) watch it!
sorry these are so long. i am very enthusiastic about them!!!
- Once a Model City, Hong Kong Is in Trouble
- Why We Can’t Talk About Race in Food
- Tumblr’s Unclear Future Shows That There’s No Money in Internet Culture
- Instagram Food Is a Sad, Sparkly Lie via @joshuabote ty
- How Losing SoundCloud Would Change Music
- The Dark Power of Fraternities - from 2014 but still good !!
listening… (podcasts unless stated otherwise)
- (!!) snap judgment: #815 true believer - you hear the perspectives of the wives and husband in a mormon polygamist relationship
- death, sex money: student loans part 1 + part 2
- revisionist history: miss buchanan's period of adjustment - a different, more heartbreaking story of brown v board & how school integration fell into the hands of black students rather than institutionally via teachers
- it's been a minute!!!! - episode with lena waithe
- start up: building the perfect cup of coffee - the story behind $16 coffee from blue bottle (not the pretentious story that imagined it to be)
- 99% invisible: the pool and the stream - about how a drought and a designer led to skating culture getting so big!
- 99% invisible: repackaging the pill
- 30 for 30 podcasts: yankees suck - getting rich off a baseball rivalry (i don't love sports but i love narratives about sports)
- ear hustle: misguided loyalty