hey newsletter pals, happy 2018!!!
thanks so much for joining me in 2017 and letting me overwhelm you with links. i'm not sure what 2018 will bring, but there will definitely still be lots of good links to click on from the internet and i'll still be here to gather up some of my favorites. (as always, feel free to overwhelm me with links too!)
if you follow me anywhere else on the internet, you probably already know i recorded one second everyday for 2017. you can watch it here! a lot my other great friends also made videos for 2017, check out all of their videos on my website here :-) i find that one second is the perfect amount to capture and also simple enough to do every day. we always have our phones with us anyway! the end result is super cute so i highly recommend. if you need more convincing, watch the original ted talk from the guy who started the one second everyday movement. you can even start today!!!
- finally had a chance to use my moviepass (in december) and watched coco! i love using my moviepass and the illusion of a free movie even though it really isn't. but the more you watch in a month, the cheaper a movie gets! i feel like i recommend it to every one i know so of course i have to here. you should just get one. before they raise their prices on us like netflix did!!! it's just $10 a month right now!
- this is us!!! spent my winter break catching up, binging, and crying a lot over a relationship-driven family drama
- watched the new black mirror. it was mostly eh compared to the other seasons, but with some good standout eps like hang the dj and black museum.
- lwany on youtube. very original and beautifully shot fashion videos, specifically for petites made my ultimate power couple: lwany (creative director with design and styling background) + her husband (photographer) + their adorable dog kansas
- that's chic aka rachel nguyen is one of the most genuine and creative youtube lifestyle content creators. i'm quite skeptical about new year's resolutions and related types of videos but i was REALLY inspired after watching her new year, new me reset video, which isn't specifically a new year's resolution video but how she reset to refocus and regain control. i really resonated with doing a digital cleanse so i did one to start off my year.
- call me by your name is so beautiful and it totally ruined me. and now i can't stop watching armie hammer and timothee chalamet press interviews on youtube.
- the cut youtube channel did another of my favorite series, Truth or Drink with Exes
- Tracee Ellis Ross Is Living For Herself - i love tracee so much. just watch!!
reading… (there were so many good reads this month!!)
- Inside China's Vast New Experiment in Social Ranking (wired) black mirror irl!!!
- Ed Lee Sold Out San Francisco (outline)
- Mimi O’Donnell Reflects on the Loss of Philip Seymour Hoffman and the Devastation of Addiction (vogue) - heartbreaking reflection about the choice of staying with an actor dealing with addiction
- https://bythebay.cool - an essential local (sf) resource made by san franciscans making local politics understandable and accessible to all! check it out and use it as a guide to help you VOTE in local politics. they're looking for volunteer designers, developers researchers!
- Death Is Real: Mount Eerie’s Phil Elverum Copes With Unspeakable Tragedy (pitchfork) - okay this made me cry
- *A Dream Deported (sf chronicle) - this made me cry too
- How It Became Normal to Ignore Texts and Emails (the atlantic) - don't feel guilty when you don't respond ASAP
- ‘Black Mirror’s’ Season 4 Finale ‘Black Museum’ Offers a Horrifying Critique of American Racism (the daily beast)- love black mirror discourse
- some aziz discourse:
- *The Epic Romance of Saeed Jones and Isaac Fitzgerald (into more) - on platonic romance. i love love!! "One way to categorize it is he's gay, I'm straight, alright we're like family. Right? Oh, we're brothers, right? Saeed doesn't defend me like family. To be honest, family is not a word that means safety to me. But he makes me feel safe, and he defends me in the way of somebody who loves me, and I feel loved, and I love that."
- *They Lost Their Homes. Now A Reality TV Star Is Selling Them. (buzzfeed) - "Behind the scenes of Million Dollar Listing New York are black and Latino families who lost their homes in the wake of the subprime mortgage crisis."
- My dad predicted Trump in 1985 – it's not Orwell, he warned, it's Brave New World - "We must teach our children, from a very young age, to be skeptics, to listen carefully, to assume everyone is lying about everything. (Well, maybe not everyone.) Check sources. Consider what wasn’t said. Ask questions. Understand that every storyteller has a bias – and so does every platform."
- Life After Vine (the outline)
- *A DESI WIN: TRUST NO AUNTY BY MARIA QAMAR (rumpus) - my pal @ikyakandula's newest piece on brown girl pride
- *The Criminalization of Gentrifying Neighborhoods (the atlantic)
- *No Place for 200,000 People to Go (new york times) - on trump admin's decision to not renew temporary protected status for el salvador written by lauren markham (author of the far away brothers, book i'm currently reading. she also works at a high school in oakland for immigrant youth)
- My Dad Invented the Extra Value Meal (munchies) - female head chef of mission chinese food in nyc shares the story of her father unintentionally changing fast food
- **Why Woody Allen hasn’t been toppled by the #MeToo reckoning — yet (vox) - MUST READ !!!
- Almost 35 years ago, she let a stranger hold her newborn. It has haunted her ever since. (wapo)
- Why I See a Black Queer Therapist (them)
- Tea if by sea, cha if by land: Why the world only has two words for tea (quartz)
- No One Is Coming to Save Us From Trump’s Racism (nyt - roxane gay)
- How Instagram Stories Has Changed Dating Forever (vice)
- *I Started the Media Men List. My name is Moira Donegan. (the cut)
- Kristi Yamaguchi, Unlaced (shondaland)
- SF teacher says she was tricked into ‘I Am Not a Monster’ BART campaign (mission local)
- *We can draw school zones to make classrooms less segregated. This is how well your district does. (vox)
- *Tough love with bell hooks (shondaland)
- **How I Learned To Share Money Again After My Divorce (buzzfeed x death, sex, & money collab) - anna sale gets personal about money, love, and moving to berkeley!
- *[Letters from India] The Newlyweds. What’s at stake when you marry for love? (harpers)
- An Illustrated Agenda for Change in 2018 (city lab)
- All the Young Sadboys: XXXTentacion, Lil Peep, and the Future of Emo (the ringer)
- How Chinese Food Became a Mexico City Staple (eater) - woo chinese diaspora!
- *Why Happy People Cheat. A good marriage is no guarantee against infidelity. (atlantic) - "affairs as a form of self-discovery, a quest for a new (or lost) identity. For these seekers, infidelity is less likely to be a symptom of a problem, and more likely an expansive experience that involves growth, exploration, and transformation."
- The Partnership Between Colleges and Helicopter Parents (atlantic)
- *How Do You Rebuild Your Life After Leaving A Polygamous Sect? (buzzfeed)
listening… (podcasts unless stated otherwise)
- still processing is back!!! 😍😍
- reply all - #112 the prophet, #114 apocalypse soon
- the daily - tuesday, jan 9, 2018
- hi-phi nation - drowned at sea
- welcome to macintosh - little wrist computer (pro-apple watch content!!)
- death, sex & money - opportunity costs: friendship and fertility
- i've already recommended esther perel's where should we begin? podcast before, but i am recommending it AGAIN. every episode is so good and esther is amazing at her job as a couples' therapist.
- food 4 thot - 4 queers walk into a bar...
- MUSIC! check out songs i've been listening to via my hodgepodge of a winter playlist